Sowood view ossett dating

Ossett - Wikipedia

sowood view ossett dating

THE HISTORY OF SOWOOD HOUSE OLD PLAN OF SOUTH OSSETT OSSETT (Ref: SQ 61 68) (see also WU and XR ) (I cannot begin to understand/explain the two indentures dated 8 years apart!) Term Dates. 0U0A_1. KEY DATES. Please see below the key term dates for the academic year and This includes scheduled. See also the Railway Ramblers gazetteer - Kirklees: Wakefield - Batley I don't know the exact date of the picture, but believe it to be about . This is the view from Sowood lane on the way to Ossett, just Before Sowood Lane & Horbury .

Thomas Wilby Bentley subsequently became Ossett's mayor for two years between and His election as Mayor by his colleagues suggests that he would have held the office of Councillor of the Borough for several years prior to He is shown in the following picture at his mayoral ceremony at Ossett Town Hall, unusually without his top hat.

Thomas Wilby Bentley never married, and is shown in the picture with his younger sister Emily, who was his mayoress. Thomas Wilby Bentley in his Mayoral chains, with his spinster sister, Emily alongside. Thomas was also Chairman of Governors at Ossett Grammar School from until shortly before his death in His spinster sister, Emily, born latecontinued to live at Elder House until her death, aged 77 years, on 26 June It appears that Emily Bentley left funds to enable the provision of accommodation for people less fortunate than herself.

The Almshouses, operated by Anchor Housing Association provide unsupported amenity housing in four apartments for prospective residents who have preferably lived in the borough of Ossett for two years. A fitting tribute to the memory of a family who themselves had suffered hardship.

Emily Bentley Almshouses, Teall Street, on the right of the picture. Although Emily Bentley died inquite possibly at Elder House, it was October before Ossett Borough Council acquired land for the site of the houses for which she left a bequest. He was born in Rotherham inmarried Annie Frear in the Sheffield area in late and the couple had three sons, including twins. He was also a keen cricketer in his youth and a member of Yorkshire Cricket Club for most of his life.

Dr Rose was recorded in Wakefield, Newstead Road, from about when he was appointed as consultant pathologist to the Wakefield Group of Hospitals: He had earlier held similar appointments at Sheffield and Wolverhampton where his twin sons were born shortly before his move to Wakefield. Shortly afterwards, inhe was first recorded with a Teall Street address, namely "Sherwood Mount. Bearing in mind the setting of the house, the name Sherwood may have seemed appropriate.

In October an application was made for planning consent for residential development of the 1.

  • Ossett - the history of a Yorkshire town

The application was approved in July and in February consent was granted for the felling of 26 trees and the crown raising of trees adjacent to the access and dwelling at Elder House, Teall Street. In April consent was granted for the erection of 16 detached dwellings with private garages on the Elder House Estate, Teall Street and thereafter applications were made for the erection of individual properties with the last one recorded in October Dr Wynyard Lionel Rose died on the 15th Mayaged 76 years.

It is not certain how long before his death he continued to live at Elder House or the precise date when the house was demolished. It seems likely though that the demolition would be the late s or early s.

The extensive, unfenced, seemingly empty, remote and heavily wooded location was a popular haunt, in more ways than one, as fiction got the better of fact. As is often the case there was truth in some of these rumours. After all, Dr Rose was a Pathologist. This latter dwelling built on Park Lane, the road running from Storrs Hill Road into Ossett Academy, was built in and demolished in the late s.

The listed Sowood Farm House which dates fromstill stands there today, probably on the site of an earlier building. The two remaining dwellings which carry the name, Sowood House, in the 21st Century include one which was built about and is situated off Sowood Lane4 near the junction with Manor Road.

The remaining dwelling, and the subject of this research, is the Sowood House which stands on The Green, at the junction with Healey Road once Healey Lane.

From the style of the architecture, it is believed that Sowood House was built in three stages. The most recent is the front, which is estimated by Dr.

John Stoker to be about years old, and which would accord with the advertisement from the 2nd March shown below. The section to the north is probably some years old and the section to the south is the oldest at about years old. Sowood House pictured in The levels of the upper floor are all different, that to the front is the highest, the middle section is some 8 inches lower, and the oldest section a further 3 inches below that.

The window styles are all different; whilst all were replaced in aboutthe original shapes and styles were retained with the exception of the northern section which had originally sash windows. Accepting that there are three sections explains why there are 2 halls.

The larger is in the northern, middle age, section which brings the three sections together, whilst the front, most recent, section has a smaller hall of its own, leading in to the larger one. The oldest section has an extensive cellar system, arranged for domestic cooking purposes and exposed beams originally enclosed in the upper floor ceilings.

Sowood Manor - Ossett

Sowood House is believed5 to date, in part, to the early 18th Century, but its history as a home and workplace for generations of medical doctors dates from, a little later, in the s. It was then that John Greenwood and his wife and cousin, Jane Greenwood6, were recorded in Ossett and shortly after he purchased Sowood House from the administrators of bankrupt Ossett clothier, John Wilson. Sale notice in "The Leeds Intelligencer", 2nd March As early as John Greenwood was practising medicine in Ossett, quite possibly at Sowood House, but, apart from his acquisition of the House shortly after March the first documentary evidence appears in and when he was described as a surgeon.

Joshua Haigh and Charles Wheatley were key players in 18th and 19th Century Ossett land and property ownership. The Greenwoods own lineage was also well documented. The Land Tax mentions, for the first time, a Mr Greenwood, the title is applied to a person of some standing.

It is known that John Greenwood was practising medicine in that year. John Greenwood and his wife, Jane, had seven children from their marriage and the eldest surviving son, George Greenwood took over the Sowood House practice when his father, and his mother, died in However George was living elsewhere on The Green in and he died in aged 63 years. Over the years he had established a significant land holding and the Ossett Tithe Award11 records him as the owner of more than 50 acres in the Healey Lane and Sowood area.

In he had also became a qualified midwife and by he was described as a General Practitioner, Midwife and Apothecary. John William married Mary Thompson in and at least five children were born to the marriage including four sons. All of the children were born in the s and all remained in Ossett after achieving their qualifications.

Old Railway Wakefield to Dewsbury via Ossett Chickenley Earlsheaton

Effectively this converted his copyhold interest into a freehold interest in the properties and the Lord of the Manor would no longer hold sway over what John William or his heirs did with the properties. John William Greenwood, by then a widower, was living at Sowood House even though he had moved to Scarborough in about in but the head of the house was his son, George Spencer Greenwood.

The early 20th Century was unkind to the Greenwood family. John William, died in July and his only daughter, Nora, aged 36 years, died five weeks later in early September A year later, in OctoberGeorge Spencer Greenwood, a bachelor, died, aged only His death may have been unexpected since he died without making a Will. The eldest surviving son and only remaining Doctor in the family, William Greenwood, continued to run the practice from Sowood House and in he was joined by Dr W.

He married his cousin, Alice Alford, in latebut William died in Januaryaged 48 years, leaving a young widow and four daughters, including twins, all under five years of age. Alice headed south with the children and later in she was living in Putney in a house which she had named Sowood.

Four generations of the Greenwood family had produced five doctors who served the people of Ossett for more than years between andbut this was the end of the Sowood House connection with the Greenwoods. Sowood House, however, had not finished with the medical world and in laterthe practice was taken over by Dr.

Wood was born in Lorraine, France in aboutbut had come to England before when he was living with his widowed mother, Salome, in Westminster, London and working as a footman. He was naturalised inqualified to practice as a doctor inmoved north and married Emily Gertrude Haslam, the daughter of a Baptist Minister in Gildersome in His mother died in Leeds in He served in France and was awarded the Military Cross for meritorious conduct. In his absence the Sowood House medical practice was run by his partner, Dr W Hole, who would have seen the terrible effects of that war on the men and women of Ossett.

Those who went to war and returned wounded or gassed and those who remained at home but who had lost their loved ones. There was, however, an interesting visitor to Sowood House in in the form of a nurse from Sheffield called Constance Elliot Birks Wood continued to rent Sowood House, until when, aged 60, he moved to live in Knaresborough where he died in April He had worked at Sowood House for 30 years.

Perhaps as a result of potential purchasers or tenants, Alice Greenwood commissioned a condition survey of Sowood House in March and this was undertaken by local architect, Charles Kendall14 A.

When Dr Stephen Brandon Stoker - arrived in Junethe lease of the house had a further year to run. At the end of this, a further 10 year lease was established.

sowood view ossett dating

After the 10 years, the house was purchased by Dr Stoker in March He was accompanied by a practice partner, Dr. John Samuel Coad - There had been extensive coal mining in the area, and many old properties had suffered subsidence. Bythe NCB judged that the subsidence was complete, accepted responsibility for the damage to Sowood House, and agreed to fund a major repair. The whole of the outer wall of the front of the house was taken down, and the existing stones used to re-build it.

Many of the ceilings were extensively repaired. The upper floor of the old dispensary, examination and surgery block was removed and replaced with a flat roof.

The opportunity was taken to re-position the surgery premises, along the lines suggested by Charles Kendall in his report5. The Stoker family was reasonably affluent and could afford to send both sons to study medicine at Edinburgh and for the daughter to become a teacher. Stephen Brandon Stoker completed his undergraduate studies at Edinburgh University, but then chose to sit his qualifying examinations with the Royal Colleges at Edinburgh and also that at Glasgow, both in His qualifications in were L.

Immediately after qualifying, he made arrangements to go to Africa as a medical missionary under the aegis of the Church of Scotland. He went to what was then Nyasaland in Portuguese East Africa, arriving at the beginning of August He supervised the building of a hospital and was the only doctor present in the area and managed the mission together with the Church of Scotland minister.

He returned to Britain sometime in earlyand started his post graduate surgical training in Newcastle. He worked in various hospitals in the area, undertook professional visits to Portugal and Sweden and had a period of research in the Department of Physiology. He then realised that General Practice was his calling, and after working in various practices around Newcastle, he moved to Ossett in June He married Jane Giles in and the couple had a son and two daughters born between and He qualified at Durham University inmoving to Ossett in and marrying local girl, Joyce Fearnside in They had two children, a son, Derek born and a daughter, Pamela born InDr Coad established a part-time practice at Enfield House, Sowood Lane where he saw the occasional private patient there, and did other examinations, such as for insurance purposes.

However, he was always an equal partner in the Sowood House practice with Dr. Stoker and all his normal practice work was based there. After Dr Coad died in NovemberDr. Broughton helped for some months.

Stoker was finding the strain of managing essentially a single handed practice hard, and unable to attract a suitable partner, he decided that early retirement from the NHS was the best option.


Stoker retired in Decemberat the age of He continued with his role as Police Surgeon and some industrial medicine until shortly before his death. Dr Mehrotra took over what was left of the practice. He had other premises and Sowood House was never his main base. He never had a formal lease and paid no rent.

He continued to see patients at Sowood House, but was spending less and less time there; by he was only spending three short sessions there each week and left finally in November Stephen Brandon Stoker died in the same year, aged Partly to support his ailing mother, and with his wife and three children, he decided to move back to live at Sowood House.

They purchased the house and moved in autumn A major refurbishment was started in and lasted some 18 months. The wall between the front of the house and the southern section behind was found to be defective and required re-building from foundations to roof.

The roof on the northern section was replaced and some chimney stacks removed. The house continued as a private residence until Februarywhen it was sold to become a hair dressing and beauty establishment. Stoker who, in Junesubmitted additional information about his father and Sowood House. This is now incorporated into the above history of Sowood House and the biography of his father, Dr Stephen Brandon Stoker. Subsequent planning applications for the building of a detached house on the remaining land to the rear of Sowood House were considered in,and June With the exception of all of the applications have been refused.

Sold Prices in Ossett

Until there remained some unfinished business for the Greenwoods and Sowood House. When William Greenwood died inthe administration of his estate was granted to his widow, Alice Greenwood nee Alford. Whilst Sowood House may have been sold by the Greenwood family to Stephen Stoker in aboutthey reserved some land to the rear of the House. Three plots of land with a Southdale Road frontage were sold in This transaction appears to have ended the Greenwood family connection with Sowood House and its associated land.

A full copy of the research findings is available on the Downloads see left hand bar section of this website.

A Ossett Architect in survey of Sowood House http: Elizabeth Liversedge was the daughter of Sarah Liversedge nee Haigh. There is no mention of the Greenwood name in the Ossett Hearth Tax schedule of The Return of Owners of Land records only 8. All of these properties were owned by the Greenwood family.

A biography of the life of Constance Elliot Birks can be seen at http: Private correspondence with Dr Stoker's son, Dr.

sowood view ossett dating

Westfield House pictured in from Wesley Street After first occupying the house shown below, which is close to Westfield House, John Westerman went on to build Westfield Mill on the opposite side of Wesley Street, and he then moved into the newly built Westfield House above. Bythe house was occupied by Ossett rag merchants John W. Hewitt who had premises in Wesley Street. This house, number 33 Wesley Street was built for John Westerman around In the census Westerman was a master clothier and rag dealer, employing 24 men and 30 women.

Westerman's rag warehouse was located adjacent to this house and was demolished about The house then became the manse for the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel from about until In it was purchased by Brian Smith. Built inon the site of a medieval manor that was in existence inand built possibly re-using timbers from the original manor house. Christopher Denton of Sowood Farm died of the plague on the 18th July and was buried at his own house.

His sons, Christopher 23 and William 18 died 13 days later. It is now the largest town in Yorkshire and one of the largest towns in Britain without a railway station.

In Junethe Association of Train Operating Companies proposed Ossett, as one of seven English towns with a strong business case for the location of a new railway station. It is likely that an unmanned station would be erected at Healey Mills. Many of the leaders of these churches meet regularly to collaborate and support each other.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, the town had a reputation as a centre of religious Nonconformism. Inseventeen different churches were recorded in Ossett, excluding "spiritualist churches". Trinity Church is one of the two Anglican churches in the town. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church was built in The Salvation Army is the only church in Gawthorpe. Ossett Trinity, the local rugby league club, resigned from the Rugby League Conference in Ossett Cricket Club also play at Dimplewells. The Heavy Woollen District has its own cricket association and its own cricket team.

Residents of Ossett are eligible to play for the Heavy Woollen District team. Ossett hosts two semi-professional football teams, both currently playing in the Northern Premier League Division One North: In Februarythe two clubs announced an agreement to merge under the name Ossett United. Ossett has a free magazine The Ossett Review [30] established in July Ossett Beercart takes place on the first weekend of June. Ossett Gala takes place in July. The turning on of the Christmas lights is another focal point for the community, along with the fire station's bonfire on the Friday evening nearest to 5 November.

Ossett was defined as "wheeare the' black-leead t'tram lines" in both A Yorkshireman's Dictionary by Peter Wright and The Yorkshire Dictionary by Arnold Kellett, although neither book gives any explanation for this. One interpretation is that it was mocking the town's heavy pollution when it was industrialised. The Court Roll is the earliest evidence to emerge of the property and land being called Sowood. During most of the 18th and the early part of the 19th Century the Marsden and Nettleton owners and occupiers were described as being of Storrs Hill.

In Edmund Lord of Sowood buried his son William at Horbury which suggests that he may have been at the Farm by The Court Roll provides evidence that a dwelling stood at Sowood in that year and that it was known as Sowood House. By the early s Francisci Marsden, his wife Ann nee Tinker and their three children —all baptised at Penistone - had journeyed the 20 miles from Penistone parish to Ossett.

In total the holding was probably close to acres. There is no record of the Marsden family in the locality before but the Beatsons are recorded in Dewsbury as early as and in Horbury in — shortly after the Sowood Plague which may be significant.

It is also likely that the families knew one another since each had occupied New Hall Farm at Overton; the Marsdens between and the Beatsons during most of the 18th century.

sowood view ossett dating

Francisci and Ann Marsden had three more children in the s, all baptised at Dewsbury, and by Francis is recorded as having a messuage and lands on Sowood Green.

Church records in the late 17th century record the death at Horbury of Richard Marsdin of Sawid greene who probably came to the locality with his brother Francisci in about The Marsdens were already marrying well. It is clear too that whilst Francis was baptised at Penistone he had close links with families in the Holme Valley and Wooldale areas around Holmfirth and Scholes.

In accordance with the primogeniture custom of the time Sowood Farm and other copyhold landholdings were left to his son Johannes or John Marsdenthe eldest of his two sons. John Marsden married twice and had ten children and when he died, aged 61, in he left a Will which included an inventory of his belongings in his farm at Sowood. It is certain that he lived at Sowood since his Will also refers to the names of the fields adjacent to the Sowood Farmstead; names which were recorded in the Court Roll, and again, almost years later, in the Ossett Tithe Award map.

Most of these field names continued to be used to describe locations and ownership into the late 19th Century. John Marsden was born at the farm but by the time he came of age or married he was living elsewhere, although nearby. His Will refers to him as John Marsden of Ossett Lights which suggests he lived part of his short life somewhere to the east of Sowood Farm. The Wakefield Manor Estate map shows a building closer to Horbury but still within Ossett parish.

In John married his cousin Elizabeth Illingworth the daughter of his aunt Elizabetha Marsden and John Illingworth — the gene pool was narrowing By the time of his death inaged 38, he left a widow and four children, all boys, under the age of Unsurprisingly, his young widow re-married in On her death the farm was to pass to his widow and on her death to his eldest son, Francis Marsden Francis Marsden suffered a similar fate to his father and died young at the age of He and his wife Hannah nee Haigh and the daughter of Robert Haigh of Haggs Farm Ossett had five children but two pre-deceased Francis leaving his widow Hannah with three children under the age of 8 at his death in His wife Hannah, however, had inherited land from her father, Robert Haigh of Haggs who was a wealthy man and son of the long serving Minister of Horbury Church, James Haigh and his wife Barbara nee Leeke who was also had extremely wealthy and influential origins.

Francis had left in his Will a wish that his children be brought up at his home at Sowood and true to his wishes his widow Hannah remained at the farm until they were of age. Francis Marsden was the eldest son of the earlier Francis, but he was only three years of age when his father died. He was to inherit Sowood Farm, to which his mother had tenant rights for as long as she remained a widow, when he reached the age of majority in about — the year his mother re-married.

In Widow [Hannah] Marsden is recorded as the owner of the Farm. Francis married in and his Will made provision that if his wife was with child then that child should inherit Sowood. It was not to be and consequently when Francis died inaged 29, Sowood was left to his only brother John Marsden, aged Francis left other land to his sister Elizabeth.

He was a bachelor and he too died young in aged only He was the last of the male line of this branch of Marsdens and he left his Ossett copyhold and freehold estates to his sister Elizabeth Nettleton nee Marsden for life with the proviso that on her death the estates were to be divided equally between her children. It is probable that it was at this time that she and her husband, John Nettleton, who she had married inmoved into Sowood.

Prior to his death however he and his children had made agreements with John Scholefielda Horbury Attorney at Law, businessman and landowner. John Scholefield, effectively a mortgagee, secured these advances against Sowood.

Elizabeth Nettleton lived for another 20 years and died at Sowood Farm in By this time she had survived all but three of her eight children. The views of the surviving three children are unknown but the implications of their earlier decision to enter the agreement must have been clear. Of course they could not have anticipated that their mother would live so long or that three of their siblings would die before she did.

However their actions in had lost each of them one half of the value of their inheritance. In between, inthere had been a Chancery Court action by William Barber who had entered a land transaction with John Nettleton in Those individuals who were not family were questioned as to the signatures on the Will and Codicil, the length of time they had known John senior and the state of his mind in when he died.

It is possible that this affair which appears to have rumbled on for 80 years since the Agreements with John Scholefield will forever remain a mystery but it can be no coincidence that in his grand daughter by marriage, Frances Battye, passed ownership of Sowood Farm to her son Captain Lionel Richard James Scholefield Battye — the great grandson of John Scholefield.

John Nettleton senior was buried on 20th October and Sowood House was advertised for sale shortly afterwards in the "Leeds Mercury.

There was however also a tenant farmer, John Hill, working the farm in and this arrangement involving tenant farmers continued for more than years until Whether or not the Nettletons legally owned the farm between and is uncertain but most property records suggest that various Nettleton Executors did have a hold of some sort.

It was certainly the case in that Elizabeth Nettleton was living at Sowood Farm but so too was farmer John Hill suggesting that there may have been at least two dwellings11 located on the Farm at that time. It records that, in addition to the farmhouse, at least three cottages, some perhaps converted from farm buildings, stood here from some time earlier than It is possible that some of these dwellings or conversions were undertaken in the early part of the 19th Century by the ageing John Nettleton who needed to secure a steady income which required less effort than farming.

Between and the Farm was tenanted by working farmers. In and the tenant farmer was William Crowther also working 30 acres and, the Nettletons, in the form of J. In addition there are five cottages also said to be owned by the Nettleton Trustees and occupied by named tenants or, perhaps, under tenants. In there are 35 people in six families living in dwellings, probably including converted agricultural buildings, at Sowood Farm. By this time Sowood Farm was a busy community.

Richard Battye was grandson to John Scholefield. John Scholefield died in leaving the bulk of his estate including Sowood Farm, to his daughter Margaret and her heirs. She thus became the owner of large tracts of land and property including land at Horbury and Sowood Farm. By the time of his death in John Scholefield was the second largest owner of land in Horbury the largest owner being John Carr. He was educated at Eton and became a Captain in the 13th Royal Hussars.

In May Captain Battye of Cadogan Square Kensington was party to a Deed with his mother Francis whereby he acquired several of her land and property holdings in Horbury and Ossett. The line, which required the acquisition of a strip of frontage land to be purchased16 from Frances Battye to widen the road at Sowood, opened in August and closed in July Until July the three-line tram shed depot stood opposite Sowood Farm, but today the only legacy of tram journeys past Sowood Farm is the collapsed wall, built by the WDLRC inat the roadside south frontage of the farmhouse.

The road level at Sowood is much higher than the 17th and 18th Century buildings which it skirts, partly as a result of the foundations for the laying of the tram tracks in the early 20th Century. The above photograph from about shows a workman on the roadside outside Sowood Farm with an Ossett - Horbury - Agbrigg tramcar in the distance. It appears also that a horse and cart, or trap, is making its way towards the Farm.

The 26ft high sectional steel poles carrying the overhead electric lines for the tramcars can be clearly seen on the south side of Sowood Lane. The record shows Milk Farm known as Sowood Farm " Trams pass to and from Wakefield frequently. He is there too in when the Census records Fredrick Brook, cattle dealer and farmer living in the six roomed Sowood Farm.

Bennett Brook at Sowood Farm in the early s. Fredrick Brook died on 4th March and the farm tenancy was taken over by his only son Bennett Brook Captain Battye died, a bachelor without issue, in May and his executors began to sell his land holdings, including Sowood Farm.

On 1st October Bennett purchased " In the s David and Dorothy and Brook began to contemplate improvements to the 17th Century working farmhouse at Sowood and in they were visited by the National Commission of Historic Monuments. This led, into the farmhouse being Grade II Listed and it remains today the only Listed Building in Ossett, which is still used as a dwelling.

But even the listing documentation left unanswered questions about the identity of the builder of the farmhouse and the building itself. The listing attributes the building of the Farmhouse to a person of the same name, stating "the present house built in by F Mackender incorporates a timber partition between the body of the house and the outshut.

As for the barely legible lettering on the lintel above the doorway it reads neither flackender nor Mackender but Marsden. The argument in favour of Sowood Farm being the site of an earlier manor is based upon 14th century Court Rolls which refer to farming activity at Sowood but this is not evidence that this activity took place at the site of the modern day Sowood Farm.

Whilst this may be the case, other evidence suggests that the Manor may have been situated elsewhere in Sowood. This evidence19 suggests Sowood manor may have been situated further west, possibly with a manor house, on Storrs Hill Road near Sowood Green. The Oates ownership in this location stretched to acres and in the Manor was described as a messuage and carucate of land which is generally taken to be about acres.

Previously unknown evidence has now been discovered that, inthe present day Sowood Farm was the site of a dwelling — probably a farm, called Sowood House. This substantiates the contention that an earlier building stood here before the present farmhouse was built or rebuilt in This earlier building may also have had a long history and may have included an earlier Manor House. Whilst it is not claimed that the Storrs Hill Road Manor House and the associated Oates acres landholding was the site of Sowood Manor and House its credentials are at least as worthy of further research and consideration as the Sowood Farm site.

Since the Farm has been owned by the Marsden family who built it, the Nettletons who married into the Marsden family, the Scholefields and the Battyes who acquired it by default and the Brooks who tenanted and subsequently purchased it. As it turns out, they brought it back to the family who built it. Many interesting facts have emerged during the course of the research but two family connections are particularly fascinating.

The Farm was built in by Francis Marsden and one of his descendants married a Nettleton who had a daughter who married a Brook. These happy events led to Peter Brook and his sister Christine being related to Francis. In Peter and Christine are working the Farm which years ago was built and worked by their 8x Great Grandfather Francis Marsden. Moorhouse page There is another contender for the location of an earlier Manor House. This was built on Storrs Hill Road in and demolished in Demesne — operated by the Lord of the Manor for his own use.

Tourn Local criminal court presided over by the sherriff. This is likely to be because the majority of the land worked from the Farm was situated at Storrs Hill.

Messuage — Plot of land usually containing a dwelling. Joseph Brook married Elizabeth Nettleton in She was the eldest daughter of John Nettleton and his wife Elizabeth nee Marsden. By marriage the Brook family became related to the Marsdens, the builders of Sowood Farm. There is also evidence however that the farmhouse was divided to provide accommodation for two families. Deed reference QE Sarah Marsden was the 4 x great grand daughter of Francis Marsden There is no doubt however that the Battye descendants of John Scholefield owned the Farm, or the rights to the Farm and this was borne out in In the estate of John Nettleton died and his sister Harriet died was proved.

John was the grandson of John Nettleton died Was it coincidence that a year later the Farm passed by Deed from Frances Battye to her son?

Perhaps there was some form of covenant on the land which expired after 80 years. The building displays signs of several alterations over the years and includes some stonework along the road frontage which suggests 18th Century beginnings. Along Denton Lane, closer to Ossett than to Horbury, stood Sowood Farm which in the late 16th century was occupied by the Denton family who worked and lived at the farmstead.